Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Unpacking

Unpacking is a loaded term, I have discovered. I have been unpacking my material things of course over the past few weeks. I have been "unpacking" state objects in preparation for the school. Through this process I think I have become  little unpacked myself. 
It has been my experience that no matter what I am unpacking I keep asking a similar series of questions. Where do I start? Where does this go? What is this and what is it doing here? These three questions are generally followed by a sorting process. Moving provides a great opportunity to learn more ourselves.  We can learn about how we transition and what we value. Moving also provides us with an opportunity to refresh ourselves and reinvest ourselves in our personal visions. 
After Institute ended, unpacking seemed very doable. I only had one suite case, two carry ons and a list of state objectives that took up maybe a page and half. Even with so little to unpack I became overwhelmed at moments. I had to take a step back and ask, "what had caused that response?" I mistakenly thought that unpacking equated to making something out of nothing. See I got sidetracked by the desire to have things "put together". Having things put together is the goal of unpacking right? No, the goal of unpacking is to unpack, the putting together phase comes after. 
What are my take aways from this process? Unpacking is a process that continues even after things appear to be put together because it is a reflective process. While trying to make sense of state objects in order to develop a year long plan for my class I learned the importance of making sure that each piece fits into the whole and the whole reflects each piece. Unpacking provides an opportunity to recreate continuity in our lives. More than anything I have been reminded the beauty of simplicity. We can easily make things more complicated than they need to be. Case in point: unpacking is about unpacking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment