Friday, July 15, 2011

Departure


The airport is where it all began if we are we are going to begin from the beginning. There was a fairly tearful departure at the single security check-point in Eugene. The TSA officer kindly handed me a Kleenex (something I would have been able to pack had my luggage not been so close to weight) and I ascended up the escalator and into the next phase of my journey.
The tears were subsided with a cup of tea as I sat etching out the next two years in my imagination. I sparked up several conversations in the airports and planes as I traveled over three thousand miles to Houston. Airports provide a unique opportunity to meet people with fascinating stories. I happened to think that my story, about moving cross country to join forces with other young professionals so that one day all children in this nation can have an excellent education, was particularly fascinating. I eagerly searched for any chance to proudly and excitedly announce what I was doing. I think back and smile at my little self. There I was beaming from ear to ear practically saying, “I’m going to help save the world! Aren’t I great?”
            That little statement sums up where I was when I left Eugene. I was in a true state of wonderment. I was so deeply resolved within myself already that I was heading in the right direction with purpose. I was ready to throw myself into my new life with wild abandon. Catch that? That’s the second layer of that little statement, “Aren’t I great?…my new life”.  Not being a fan of transitions I think I needed a little hot air to propel me forward. I see now that my life in Houston is not new in any sense of the word, I packed my whole self when I came to Houston.  I also see now that while I have the potential to make a positive contribution to a mission that I believe whole-heartedly in, I myself am neither great nor insignificant. I have the capability to make a difference for someone else’s future, we all do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment